Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Yarnbombing, urban knitting, kniffiti - whatever, I love it!


Yarn bombing, yarnbombing, yarn storming, guerrilla knitting, kniffiti, urban knitting or graffiti knitting is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colourful displays of knitted or crocheted yarn or fibre rather than paint or chalk.

On my way to work Monday morning, I was delighted to find an explosion of yarn bombing along one of the streets I pass. Heading off into the distance, knitters had gone urban knitting crazy decorating trees, lamp-posts, bollards and a pig. A kaleidoscope of colour brightened a grey day.


This kind of thing pleases me. In the face of all the current doom and gloom around the results of the referendum, here is an example of people acting in playful unity. Some of these kniffiti (that word is so enjoyable to say) must have taken hours and hours to plan and make, and are full of detail.

I urged the people in my office to take a walk at lunchtime and have a good look.


Cardinal Wolsey looks a lot less dour with his red cape, hat and proffered cupcake embellishments.


Even Piggy Stardust was given a token scarf. Piggy S is part of Suffolk's Pigs Gone Wild and he is one of a number of large and small porcine sculptures who will be gracing the county over the next couple of months. I've already seen Elvis Porksley and Ed Sheer-Ham, and intend to visit Boarba Fett in the library in the next couple of days :)

These pigs will be auctioned off to raise funds for St Elizabeth Hospice in September. 

1 comment:

  1. Fab write up, I'm so glad that we brightened your walk to work x

    ReplyDelete