Sunday, 18 December 2016

2017 Reading Challenge

Reading-wise, it's been a pretty good year. I've revisited some books I've read before and loved, and found some new ones. Looking forward to 2017, I'd like to shake things up a bit. I'm therefore planning to undertake this Reading ChallengeI started something similar a couple of years ago and never finished it - how to approach this one differently to give me a better chance of succeeding?

Life is short, time is precious, and there are so many good books out there that if a story doesn't hold me after page 50 then I go on to the next one. During the previous reading challenge, I would have maybe one or two books that suited the criteria waiting in the wings. If they both turned out not to be my cup of tea then I just ended up reading something else and getting annoyed when the book didn't fit anything on the list.

This time, I've done my research. I have an idea for practically every item on the list. I have the first five books physically ready in a pile waiting for 1st January. The Suffolk Libraries website allows you to create a list of books you want to read and I have started one for this challenge which already has 20+ titles on it. I've also joined the Good Reads Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge group and taken a look at the message boards, gaining ideas and recommendations. Having access to a community of people focussing on the same thing will keep my motivation up.

There's a 40 book standard list to the challenge, with an additional Advanced 12 to bring the total up to roughly a book a week. I'm aiming for the whole 52! Do I think I can do it? Not 100% sure but I aim to do my best. If I falter on any of them I think it will be the 800+ page novel and as I'm already anticipating that to be the hardest to accomplish I'm planning to decide on the book and take it away with me on holiday in the summer to give me plenty of opportunity to chow down on all those paragraphs.

I intend to obtain the books through the library and charity shops. As I'm saving for various big things actually buying a brand new book will be the exception rather than the rule.

Books that I might end up reading as part of the challenge currently include:
The Goldfinch (880 pages according to Amazon...), Fortunately, the Milk..., Cat out of Hell, Lolita, Zuleika Dobson, I, Robot, Black Butler, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, The Girl who fell beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, The Reason I Jump and The Gospel of Loki.

Are you taking on any reading challenges for 2017? 


Printable version found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment