Sunday, 26 March 2017

Reading Challenge: A Book you Loved as a Child


This book was originally a Christening gift given to me when I was 5 months old. It passed through my hands and the hands of my two younger sisters. My youngest sister must have taken it to school with her at some point because it has her name and class scrawled on the top left cover page. Cellotape, yellowed and crackly with age but still hanging on, holds the book together top and bottom. Open the book and the pages are pulling away from the binding, exposing bookish entrails of glue and thread.



The book is a selection of poems - old-school poems. Having re-read them, I would imagine they span from perhaps the 18th century up to the Victorian era but I don't have any concrete evidence to support that. Going through the poems, I realised how old-fashioned many of them were and I don't know if a book like this would be as popular with parents of today's children as it was with my generation.



This isn't going to be a standard book review with a rating as I have had this book for too long and the words and images have sunk too deep into the core of my child mind for anything to be objective. This was one of the books I learned how to read with. These are poems that were read to me over and over until I haltingly read them myself, finger tracing letters then lines. Some of these pages I have read a hundred times over.



I'm so glad I still have this book. After so many other treasured tomes have come and gone, this one has remained, tenacious and true. There were lots of books I could have picked to read for this part of the challenge but I'm so glad I went with this one for a trip down memory lane.



Recognise the distinctive style of drawing but not this actual book? Check out this Pinterest collection and see if any of the images jog your memory and bring on a wave of nostalgia . . . I think the illustrators were very popular for children's books and fairytales in the 70s and 80s so if you're in your thirties/forties/fifties they may stir some fond nostalgia for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment