Wednesday, 2 August 2017

Arty August (Days 1 & 2)

After writing yesterday's post it occurred to me how often I think of something new I'd like to try and add it to a list. Do I set aside an exact time to do it, thereby dramatically increasing the chance of it getting done? For the most part - nope!

So I decided I was going to set myself a challenge for the month of August and aim to work on something arty every day related to watercolour painting. I'm not saying I necessarily have to finish something every day but I intend to do something.


I will be consulting my Pinterest board, Waffling in Watercolour, for inspiration in the coming weeks.


Here's what I've done so far as part of my Arty August challenge:


Day 1

This piece was inspired by this pin. A very simple place to start. I liked the idea of using a limited number of colours in a simple pattern to create something that was visually appealing. The eyes I added with a sharpie as I didn't trust myself to make small enough blobs with a paintbrush and I didn't want to spoil it.

I also did the shape for a feather (see picture below) and put in the black lines today with a stabilo sensor fine pen. This was another very simple beginner piece, an exercise in blending which went okay but showed me I have a lot to learn.

Day 2

The panda was modeled on this pin. Apologies if the nose looks a bit big - I thought it needed a liiiittle bit extra after I had finished the piece and then I fluffed it with a big splodge. See all these technical watercolour artist terms I am using? Oh yeah. The leaves look NOTHING like bamboo. I was trying to get the correct shape with swishing movements but what my brain wanted to conjure my hand turned into a curve in execution. I think this is an example of how I need to learn which brushes work best for which shapes, and how much pressure to apply.

Page one of my watercolour book now looks like this:
Quite excited to see what the rest of the month will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment